Financial Statement Analysis — Mistakes I Made in My Assignment

Introduction

In my Introduction to Business Finance course this semester, we had to analyze a company's financial statements and calculate ratios. I thought I understood how to do it in class, but when I started the assignment, I made several mistakes. I calculated the ratios correctly, but interpreted them incorrectly. That's when I realized that knowing the formula is not the same as understanding what the result means.

Background

The first mistake was comparing one year's ratios without context. I calculated the current ratio for 2024 and got 1.8. I thought "higher is better," so I said the company has good liquidity. But I didn't compare it to the previous year. When I looked back, the ratio was 2.1 in 2023. So actually, liquidity got worse, not better. The company couldn't pay its bills as easily in 2024 as it could in 2023.

The second mistake was not comparing to the industry. I calculated a debt-to-equity ratio of 1.5 and said the company is highly leveraged. My lecturer asked, "Compared to what?" I realized I had no idea if 1.5 is high or low without knowing what similar companies have. A manufacturing company might have a debt-to-equity of 2.0, which is normal. A software company might have 0.5. I learned that ratios are only meaningful in context.

The third mistake was calculating the ratio correctly but misinterpreting what it tells you. I calculated the quick ratio, which includes only liquid assets, and compared it to the current ratio, which includes inventory too. I said "The quick ratio is lower, so the company has less liquidity." But that's always true. The insight is to ask why. If the quick ratio is much lower than the current ratio, it means the company depends heavily on inventory being sold. If the inventory doesn't sell quickly, the company might have a problem. I missed this distinction.

Link to Guide: Financial Ratio Analysis Interpretation

Key Points

  • Calculate ratios accurately, but don't stop there; analyze what changed year-over-year

  • Compare ratios to the same company's historical ratios to see if performance is improving or declining

  • Compare to industry benchmarks or competing companies, not just to arbitrary "good" values

  • Understand what each ratio measures and what it tells you about business health, not just whether it's high or low

  • A quick ratio lower than the current ratio means the company depends on inventory; investigate why if it's significantly lower

  • Gross profit margin tells you about production efficiency; operating margin tells you about overall business efficiency

  • A high profit margin with low cash flow is a warning sign, not a success sign

  • Context matters more than the number itself; know the industry and company situation

Key Takeaway

I spent hours calculating ratios correctly and felt good about my work. Then my lecturer asked me to explain what one ratio meant, and I realized I didn't know. I'd learned the formula, not the insight. After I redid the assignment with more thought about context and comparisons, I scored much higher. The lesson is that financial analysis is not about the math. The math is easy. Analysis is about asking "what does this number tell me about the business?" and "how does this compare to other information?" I now spend more time thinking about the numbers than calculating them.

Check my Latest Post on Introduction to Business Finance — What I'm Learning This Semester

Comments