What My Lecturer Explained vs What I Found in the Textbook — Where They Differed

Introduction

This semester in Cost Accounting, I started noticing that what my lecturer explained didn't always exactly match what the textbook said. At first, I thought I was misunderstanding something. But after comparing notes a few times, I realized they were emphasizing different things or using different terminology. It made me confused about which version was "right" for the exam.

classroom notes

Background

The first major difference was about fixed costs. My lecturer defined a fixed cost as anything that doesn't change with production volume in the short term. The textbook defined it the same way, but then added a long paragraph about how fixed costs might change over longer periods. My lecturer didn't mention this. and are only dealing with short-term decisions, so the simpler definition works fine. The textbook was more complete but also more complicated than we needed.

Another difference was in how they explained contribution margin. My lecturer said, "Contribution margin is what's left after you subtract variable costs from revenue, and it goes toward paying fixed costs and profit." The textbook said the same thing but used the term "contribution margin ratio" to mean something else, which I initially mixed up. They were teaching the same concept, but the textbook introduced extra terminology that my lecturer didn't use in class.

The most confusing one was about cost allocation. My lecturer showed us a simple method to allocate overhead costs. The textbook showed three different methods, including activity-based costing, which is more modern and complex. My lecturer said, "Activity-based costing is real, but it's more advanced. For this course, use the simpler method." The exam didn't test activity-based costing, so I focused on what the lecturer taught.

Link to Guide: Cost Accounting Concepts Overview

Key Points

  • Lecturers often simplify concepts for introductory courses, while textbooks aim for completeness

  • Terminology can differ between the lecturer and the textbook, even when the concept is the same

  • Lecturers focus on what will be tested; textbooks often include additional depth not required for the course

  • The textbook sometimes introduces advanced versions of concepts that appear later in the degree

  • When there's a conflict, the lecturer's version is usually what matters for exams in that class

  • Reading the textbook after class can clarify concepts, but it doesn't replace attending lectures

  • Asking the lecturer to clarify which textbook sections are in scope saves time

Key Takeaway

I spent hours studying the textbook's explanation of overhead allocation methods, thinking I was behind. When the exam only asked about the method the lecturer taught, I felt like I'd wasted time. I learned that the textbook is a reference, not a substitute for class. The lecturer tells you what you need to know. The textbook gives you the bigger picture. I now read the textbook section after class to understand context, not before, to avoid confusion.

Check my Latest Post on Excel Functions We Used in Our Accounting Cycle Project

Comments