Overheads Confusion: Predetermined Rate & Applied Overhead

Introduction

Last week in Cost Accounting we studied overheads and I got properly confused. I thought I understood everything in the lecture but when I opened my notebook to solve the questions, my mind went blank. This is exactly the kind of thing I want to write about — real student struggles.


Background

Overhead means all those indirect costs like factory rent, electricity, supervisor salary etc. that are not directly related to one product. Our lecturer told us that companies don’t wait till the end of the year to know the actual cost. Instead they use estimates.

That’s why we calculate something called Predetermined Overhead Rate. I found this part quite tricky.

Link to Guide Investopedia - Overhead Costs Explanation

Key Points

  • Predetermined overhead rate = Estimated Overhead ÷ Estimated Activity (like direct labor hours)
  • Then we use this rate to apply overhead on jobs during the year
  • At the end of the year we compare applied overhead with actual overhead
  • If we applied more than actual → Overapplied
  • If we applied less than actual → Underapplied
  • We have to adjust the difference in Cost of Goods Sold
  • I kept mixing up estimated, actual, and applied numbers
  • I also got confused whether to use fixed or variable overhead in the rate
  • In the example we saw in class, the difference was very small (only Rs. 210) but still needs adjustment

Key Takeaway

Honestly, this topic felt easy when the lecturer was explaining on the board, but when I tried doing it myself, I realised I didn’t understand it at all. I spent a long time just figuring out which number is estimated and which is actual.

My biggest mistake was not making a proper table. Everything got jumbled up. Next time I will first write Estimated | Actual | Applied in three columns before solving anything.

I’m still very much a beginner in Cost Accounting. These small confusions happen in almost every new topic. The only way is to keep practising and not feel shy about making mistakes.

Check my Latest Post on Financial Statement Analysis — Mistakes I Made in My Assignment

Comments