Time Value of Money: Problems That Still Confuse Me

Introduction

In our Introduction to Business Finance class this semester we started Time Value of Money and I’m still getting confused with it. The concepts sound simple in the lecture but when I solve problems, I make mistakes. This is my honest experience.


Background

The main idea is that money today is worth more than the same money in the future because of interest. Our lecturer explained Future Value, Present Value, annuities and gave us some examples. I understood some parts but others are still not clear.

Key Points

  • A rupee today is better than a rupee tomorrow
  • Future Value (FV) = how much money will grow in future with interest
  • Present Value (PV) = what a future amount is worth today
  • Basic formula for Future Value: FV = PV × (1 + r)^n
  • For Present Value we do the opposite (divide)
  • We also studied annuities – equal payments every period
  • Ordinary annuity is at the end of month/year, annuity due is at the beginning
  • Drawing a timeline helps a lot to understand the cash flows
  • Higher interest rate or more time makes big difference in amounts
  • I often mix up whether the question is asking for FV or PV

Key Takeaway

Honestly, this chapter is harder than I expected. In one example I calculated Future Value when the question was asking for Present Value. That completely messed up my answer.

What confuses me most is remembering which formula to use and counting the number of periods (n) correctly. Sometimes I also forget the difference between ordinary annuity and annuity due.

I have started making a small timeline for every question now. It’s helping but I still need more practice. These things take time to understand properly and that’s okay in 3rd semester. I’m just trying to improve slowly.



Comments