Depreciation in Real : Straight-Line vs Declining Balance

Introduction

I first learned basic depreciation entry in 1st year of college. Then in 2nd year, I studied different methods. At university, I got a quick overview of depreciation in the Principles of Accounting course and more details in Financial Accounting. Now I am comparing Straight-Line and Declining Balance again.

Background

I made simple comparisons to see the differences clearly.

Link to Guide: Depreciation Methods

Key Points

  • Straight-line spreads costs evenly over the useful life.

  • Declining Balance charges more in the early years.

  • I used to misunderstand how the declining balance rate is applied.

  • Straight-Line is easier to calculate.

  • Declining Balance matches assets that lose value faster early.

  • The impact on yearly profit is very different between the two.

  • I still sometimes mix up the formulas when calculating manually.

  • Excel comparison helped me see the pattern better.

Key Takeaway

I understand the methods better now, but still find the Declining Balance trickier to calculate quickly. Straight-Line feels safer. Reviewing from previous years helped, but I need more practice with different rates.

Check my Latest Post on English Presentations: My Presentation in Microeconomics

Comments